The thyroid gland on the front of the neck makes thyroid hormones: T4 and T3 which are essential for normal function and metabolism of the body. The thyroid can become overactive (make too much hormone), underactive (make too little), too large (goitre) or contain nodules and cancer.
It is important that the correct tests are done to confirm the diagnosis as this will direct the correct management plan. An Endocrinologist is a specialist confident in managing the following common problems:
- Overactive thyroid (Graves’ disease, Toxic Multinodular Goitre, Toxic Adenoma, Thyroiditis)
- Difficulty with thyroid hormone replacement
- Investigation of thyroid nodules
- Management of thyroid cancer
- Thyroid problems during pregnancy